Durga Puja: One of the most popular festivals in India



Festivals are like ornaments of any country. We may like it or not but we love to take a glance of it. India has a very rich culture of celebrating the best festivals in the world. It could be religious festivals around the world or music festivals around the world. We Indians are always up for it and celebrate with all our heart and soul.
Among these, the most famous Indian festivals are Durga Puja and Navaratri. Yes, you read it right. It is ‘or’. Though during this time Indians worship Maa Durga there is a huge difference. Navaratri is being celebrated for nine days throughout India but Durga Puja is celebrated on by Bengalis in India.



Navarati: During Navaratri people worship goddess Durga for nine days. Males do not shave their beards, does not touch Non-veg foods. They also play ‘dandiya’ (a dance form plays with two sticks). In the northern part of India, Navaratri means dandiya. That is how North Indians remembers and celebrates Navaratri.
On the other part of India(Kolkata/West Bengal), Durga puja starts from the 6th day(sasthi) of Navaratri. This is the main and biggest festival of Bengalis. This is the time when all the Bengalis will buy new clothes to wear on every day.
This time I wanted to explore Durga puja in Bangalore. I was very curious to chalk down differences between Kolkata’s Durga puja and Bangalore's. To be very honest I was underestimating Bangalore’s Durga puja. Because I grew up in Kolkata and I never got a chance to explore other state’s Durga puja. For me, Durga puja was always meant to be only in Kolkata. but this time Bangalore proved me wrong.
It was the first day of Durga puja(6th day of Navaratri) after office, I came home and googled ‘Durga puja celebration in Bangalore’ and bang… I got so many addresses to visit. The count was 46. I thought maybe I have typed incorrectly. Hence I typed again ‘Durga puja pandal near me’ this time the result was 58. I was confused. I was not drunk. Took up my Ipad and typed ‘Durga puja 2019’ the result is 56 this time. No this is not a joke. 56 Durga puja in Bangalore seriously???? This is what I wanted. The word is ‘ EXPLORE’... Okay, let's do it then….
Uber the saviour… booked a cab for the nearest location which was Koramangala. The cab arrived and I wore my new USPA t-shirt with a pair of jeans. In the app, it was showing 45 minutes to ETA. Okay, who cares. Let me enjoy the ride. During the ride, I called my family back in Kolkata and informed the fact of 56 pandal hopping. No one from my family believed me as always.

Finally, I arrived at the location. I paid 86 rupees to uber. I got down and guess what I was experiencing?? Everyone was talking in Bengali language, smelling of burnt oil and of course Bengali songs… woo.. am I in Bangalore or Kolkata? I was questioning myself.  But then Something Happened……….


Comments